Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Establishing a Vision

We had the amazing opportunity last Wednesday to hear from Ryan Greenberg, our BYUSA president. He talked to us about establishing a vision and setting goals to achieve that vision. Ryan had us each write down a personal mission statement for our life. He suggested we not only write it down, but hang it in a place where we can see it often and remember to work towards that vision. Here is what I wrote down in class:

The mission of my personal life is to do all I can to obtain eternal life and to help inspire those around me to do all they can to receive those same blessings. In order to do this, I will maintain my focus on the temple and remain worthy to attend. I will always look to Christ as my example and will center all that I do around Him. I will depend upon the guidance of the Holy Spirit to do the Lord's will, and I will accept His will no matter how difficult it may seem. With those who are not members of this Church, I will share this vision with them and look for every opportunity to share the truths and standards I know to be true.

We also discussed SMART goals, meaning goals that are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely. These goals act as a road map to achieving the vision. Here are a few that I wrote down during class:

1. Work through Preach My Gospel by next December
2. Read the entire Book of Mormon by the end of my freshman year
3. Learn to play the organ (this one may be a little more difficult, considering I haven't seen an organ for almost a month)
4. Read the rest of the New Testament (Romans to Revelation) by January 2012. Considering I am a Gospel Doctrine teacher, I figure this might be helpful with my calling...
5. Become more involved at BYU by committing to service groups, including Tutoring, Service Squad, and Horses for Healing.
6. Obtain the best grades possible by setting a homework schedule, taking tests early in their availability time, and setting aside time to meet with study groups.

Why are these things important? What's the point of taking the time to establish your vision and set goals for yourself? I loved the scripture Proverbs 29:18 which states, "Where there is no vision, the people perish." I had never really heard of that scripture, but it made me a little nervous.  I really had to think about what my vision is, what my goals are, and how I am progressing to achieve those. Our vision also establishes what our priorities are; we can look to that mission statement to remind us of what we should be focusing on each day. I plan to type up my mission statement and these goals, among others, and place the on the wall above my bed. I can then look to my vision each morning and be reminded what I should accomplish and what I need to focus on throughout the day. This reminder will help me to have direction throughout my day and help me to think through each activity that I undertake; I need to ask myself, "Will this contribute to my progression in attaining my vision? Or is this pushing me in the opposite direction I want to go?" There is no middle ground; one is either moving forward or backward, and I personally would rather move forward.

We discussed the first week of class that a vision is an essential part of leadership; if you don't know where you're heading as the leader, how will you be able to lead those who look to you? I need to share my vision often with those I lead as well as with those I interact with on a day-to-day basis. By sharing my mission statement, I will not only be better able to remember it myself, but other people will be able to recognize my priorities and want to move in the same direction as me. That is the entire purpose of divine-centered leadership: bringing others closer to Christ and eventually eternal life through your own example.

That is being a leader: having your vision, sharing it with other people, and establishing goals so that you can achieve that vision. This sets your life in the direction you want to head (which for me is towards eternal life) and will help others to follow your example and follow a similar course.