Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Assignment: Cannon Center

Our service project this past Monday was fairly simple: go to the Cougareat or Cannon Center, find someone sitting alone, and get to know them. Specifically, get to know their heart.
So I found myself wandering the Cannon Center looking for a lone diner. I walked up to a guy sitting alone and asked to sit with him. Being one of the friendly people that everyone is at BYU, he said of course.
The guy, Austin, is a junior here at BYU studying computer science. His advice: don't do computer science unless you really enjoy the numbers, details, and don't mind the possibility of having the code you create fail because you forget a single character. He became involved with computer science because his older brother is studying the same. He lives off campus in the __apartments and comes to the Cannon Center every now and then for the amazing food. I had to agree - the food there is quite delicious.
We talked about his mission in Ventura California. Although originally called for English-speaking, he was later switched to the Spanish-speaking mission. He told me of some of his experiences, as well as some of his pet peeves he discovered with some of his companions.
We talked about the amazing environment (and slight culture shock) of BYU. He came from a similar situation that I did - he was the only member at his high school where there was an incredibly diverse population. Here at BYU, nearly every person is a member, and everyone has agreed to live by the same standards that we have.
From the experience, I found a few things. First, it's fairly simple to just offer to eat a meal with someone. You get to know another person, practice conversational skills, and it makes the meal a whole lot less boring. Second, finding common ground is a lot easier than it seems. As we discussed various subjects, similarities kept popping up. Lastly, you can make someone's day just by talking to them for thirty minutes. As I was leaving, the guy expressed his thanks and mentioned that he would typically eat alone (which couldn't be all that fun, seeing as he got his money's worth for going to the Cannon Center (his words, not mine)). Walking out of the dining area, I felt amazing; knowing that I had made someone's day a little brighter can definitely bring the sunshine out on the rest of my day. Having helped another, I could actually feel the Spirit more strongly. Now, I want to seek out those having a bad day, or those just sitting alone every chance I can.
That is being a leader: finding the little ways to lift each son or daughter of God around you. They are your brothers and sisters. What have you got to lose?